Sunday 21 August 2011

Storm Day 1 & 2

The wind really has been howling down La Limonade, but I have to admit, curiosity has had the better of me on a couple of occasions over the two days of the storm so far. I ventured out late on Friday in order to see how the various regions were coping. I used my truck on this particular jaunt, being most careful as to where I went so as not to put any undue pressure on the already stretched emergency service/relief teams.



Driving in Jardin is not easy even without storm conditions, as the roads have a kerb at the intersections. I imagine this is designed as a sort of traffic calming measure ..... Lumps in the road to slow people down?.... It'll never catch on.

New Toulouse town and Bourbon were a pleasure to drive in, but as I crossed the bridge between them I could see that the water level had risen quite significantly. I crossed over into Algiers and drove through there but thought the better of going into the Bayou. Even though I had packed my gun, I didn't relish the thought of getting stuck and encountering zombies, or worse still jeopodising others who may have to come to my aid. On crossing back into town I stopped to view the river, which was looking VERY choppy indeed, and also to view the storm overhead.




I made my way home and made observations as to how high the water had risen, and at this time, by my calculation it was some 1.3m above its normal level. The next day would be time to put my earlier plan into action as I really didn't want any of my furniture to get ruined.

Saturday, I spent the morning raising the platforms I had made out of crates from the market. I had affixed barrels (also from the market) to each platform, and though I was hopeful that their initial clearance would be sufficient, I was confident that the barrels would assist the platforms in floating should the level rise higher.


After completing my preparations, I decided to check the water level once again.


It was now some 2.3m above normal. In my earlier conversation with Louis and Lestat, I had predicted that the level could possibly rise to 5m above normal...which would take it to the top of my wall. As I could forsee the level rising much higher, I decided to have one more foray into the storm. This time, the truck would be left in safety, and my bicycle 'avec des améliorations' would be most appropriate.


I didn't think it would be a good idea to linger, as the lightning was quite ferocious, but it certainly blew the cobwebs away and gave me enough exercise to make up for the prospect of a couple of days being housebound. After a quick circuit of New Toulouse town, and seeing the canals absolutely foaming with the torrent, I made for home, for a nice cup of tea and a couple of hours nap time.


As I napped, the water level increased. With a sort of perverse satisfaction, I noted that the level was just a little under my projected limit. If only I could have that much luck on the horses! With a great deal of GOOD satisfaction, I was very glad that Hennie was safe and sound in my bedroom, for her run was completely under water.


And at the risk of sounding unbearably smug... my furniture stayed dry, as did my curtains!


I settled down to write some letters and this journal, and after a little while a noise caused me to get up and peer out into the street through the gaps in my window boarding. I couldn't believe it, the water level had suddenly reduced. I went quickly downstairs, and sure enough, the pool that had been there previously was no longer to be seen. I was able to go back out into my back yard once more, and while I was there, Louis appeared and enquired after my well being. We compared notes on our storm preparations and their effectiveness, and as he looked at the platforms in my living room, with the furniture arrayed on top, he became quite concerned. He made me promise to contact him when it was time to take the furniture off the platforms, as he didn't think I should be doing it on my own. He's a very considerate young man. I remarked about the sudden drop in water level and he explained that he had heard what sounded like an explosion, and theorised that a levee may have broken. He then pointed out that our fortune could well be someone else's misfortune. I offered a quick prayer that all would be safe. Seeing me bend over with a twinge in my back, brought another admonition from Louis about not contacting him to move the furniture, and I explained that it was an old wound that just needed stretching now and then. He shooed me over to my rocking chair and got me up on the platform and into the chair with barely any effort as he hoisted me into place. He then started to make me a mug of coffee and I relaxed as he busied himself. Just as he was making himself comfortable in the chair opposite me, I could see movement just outside the front window. It was the young adventurer I had met earlier in the week. She was wondering how a carriage was situated where it was, and Louis went to let her in and explained that it had belonged to a friend of his and had been washed out from the garage. Louis then introduced her to me as a friend of his and (quite unbelievably!) Lestat's Mother; Lady Gabrielle. She must have been incredibly young when she had him as she appeared to be not much older than Louis and Lestat. I indicated that we should move to the table and it was nice to be able to sit there and chat. Even though the storm could be heard in the distance, for now, my home was like an oasis of calm; good company, with new friends.

We talked for quite some time, and then noticing my fatigue, Louis and Gabrielle both got up and wished me a good night. I smiled wearily and let them out of the front door where they made their way to Louis's home. A final call came from Louis beseeching me not to move the furniture without him, and they disappeared into the night.

I went upstairs and climbed on my bed, and as I drifted off, I hoped that tomorrow would see the end of the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment