Sunday 14 August 2011

Jazz club and a chicken

Considering I never made it to my bed, I felt remarkably refreshed this morning when I awoke. I pottered around at home and met another neighbour calling to welcome me to the area. Miss Stormy came for a brief visit and gave me a wonderful gift, a chicken! I have put her (the chicken, not Miss Stormy) in the back yard, and she brightens the place up considerably. I do hope there are no predators in this area.

I received a flyer through my door advertising an event at Le Vieux Canal Jazz Club in New Toulouse Algiers. I studied the map and determined to make my way there on my bicycle which had yet to make its maiden trip in NT. I unpacked my cycling suit, quickly changed and set off.

The club was very easy to find, and the wonderful music which could be heard as I approached foretold of a splendid time to be had by all. I was not disappointed! I believe the expression "The joint was jumping" to be most apt in this case. So many new faces gave me a most warm welcome, and I soon felt at home. Miss Eili, a bunny, looked very classy indeed in her flapper outfit. She was to be the host for the event with Miss Mitsu Figaro jockeying the discs. This style of jazz has become a recent favourite of mine, and most of the tracks played elicited some sort of comment about it being a favourite of someone in the room. My own was 'Rhapsody in Blue' which was played by Glenn Miller, and the first time I had heard that version.... marvellous! The club's owners, Miss Amber and Miss Abi were also in attendance, and through them I learned that the club had just celebrated its 2nd anniversary, and was still going from strength to strength. I was delighted to meet Miz Gabi in the flesh also, having only spoken to her previously in 'instant message'. Miss Francesca, a fellow countryman of mine, arrived just after me and started dancing immediately... I get the distinct impression she enjoys dancing very much indeed! It was wonderful to be able to greet Nana, whom I met yesterday.

I was joined at the bar, for I do not dance well and did not wish to show it too soon to my new neighbours, by a certain Count who sat most quietly. You must forgive me, my memory for names is not what it was. Also, Mr Addison Greymyst preferred the bar to the dance floor, but apart from raising a glass to each other in salute, we did not engage in conversation. It was only after he left that I was informed that he is the New Toulouse Ambassador to Winterfell. Now there's a chilly sounding place!

The talk was light and jolly for most of the event, but took on a more sombre tone when the subject of the weather was brought up. Now, being English, talking about the weather is all part and parcel of my national identity... but then, we don't have the extreme weather conditions that are experienced in New Toulouse. There's always a price to pay for having a sub-tropical climate, and it seems that one of these, a hurricane, could hit our shores by the coming weekend if forecasters are to be believed. Many at the club recounted their experiences when Hurricane Adolphe hit the region last year. Sand bags were mentioned, and the possibility of a visit to a local timber merchant ran through my mind in order to construct some shutters for my windows.

I was delighted to learn that Miss Amber was the architect of the church and cloister I visited yesterday. I commended her on such a beautiful build. I intend to visit there regularly.

Concern for my chicken is leading me to enquire as to the availability of a coop of some kind for her protection...... I shall have to investigate.

No comments:

Post a Comment