Monday 15 August 2011

Lock & Load

After composing the last entry I was determined to make sure that the chicken was safe. I have decided to call her 'Hennie' after a very nice Dutch girl I knew many years ago.

I jumped back on my bicycle, and headed up La Limonade. I had noticed what appeared to be fencing on my way back from the club, but upon inspection it turns out it is constructed for use as a walkway for the Bayou. It looks good enough to do the job in question, so I obtained some and rode carefully home.



This is the coop I have constructed. As you can see, Hennie has plenty of room in which to run about.

Knowing that all would be well with Hennie, I went back inside and sat by the fire to relax before bed. A public service broadcast was made by Miz Gabi, the Prim Minister, alerting citizens of the impending storm which is forecast to arrive on Friday. I had already considered shutters for the windows, and perhaps sandbags might be a good idea... but I was unprepared for what Miz Gabi recommended next. It seems that Zombie attacks are a very real threat during the storms. The rise in water level drives them from their usual habitats and they make their way towards the town, and generally make a nuisance of themselves. Miz Gabi was most ernest in suggesting that we all arm ourselves to ensure our safety. That was tomorrow's project established.

Determined NOT to fall asleep in the chair once again, I made my way to my bedroom, said my prayers, and then dressed for bed. Settling myself into my new bed, I knew it wouldn't be long before sleep overcame me. As my mind reviewed the events of the day, I remembered that Miss Amber had made a comment at the club about zombies when talking about last year's storm. She said that she amassed quite a collection of zombie corpses having thwarted their attack. I remarked that the smell from the collection must be quite offputting after a while.... Miss Amber smiled playfully, and then stated that she made a marvellous 'Zombalaya'. My brow creased as I wondered what that would be, and then I have to admit I must have paled slightly as Miss Amber chuckled and continued to dance. She was joking... right?

My sleep was wonderful! As the sun streamed through the window I made a mental note of the day's deeds to be undertaken. More furniture was due to arrive, and I had to travel to New Toulouse town to obtain a weapon. I dressed and went down stairs and was amazed to find both my front and back doors open. I have no 'closers' on the doors, and so someone had entered and left while I slept. I ran into the yard to check on Hennie, and was relieved to find that all was fine there. Going back inside I checked my meagre possessions, and found nothing out of place. I have to admit to a moment's panic as I considered that 'she' may have found me. I reassured myself that even if she had, she would not be able to enter my home without my invitation. Perhaps she had tried both entrances, to make sure.... or perhaps it was just sight-seers more used to modern devices like door closers.

After I broke my fast, my other furniture arrived and I spent the rest of the morning rearranging items. I checked the time when I finished, had a light lunch and then dressed to walk into town. The bicycle would not be coming with me as I was looking forward to going into several shops, and it would have only been an inconvenience. I set out through the back yard, waved to Hennie and could have sworn I could hear the bell from my bicycle ringing as I walked away. With the increasing years, it seems my imagination is still as fanciful as it always was.


The walk into town was most pleasant indeed. The sky beautifully clear and showing no sign of the impending storms, it was nice to feel the warmth of the sun on my face, I then spent the next few hours checking out some of the local stores. I am a firm believer in shopping locally, and will always check for items in the locality before venturing further afield. I found a gunsmiths, and not really knowing what differentiated one pistol from the next, I was careful to check all of the stock. I have to admit, the weapon that immediately jumped into mind when culling zombies was mentioned, was a shotgun. Having made my way around the shelves of the store, I finally arrived at the section for rifles... and shotguns. On the top shelf, I saw the very weapon I wanted to buy.... a 12 bore 'coach' shotgun. I assume this is in reference to its use being for those 'riding shotgun' on the various coaches between towns. The barrels were a bit shorter than others on display, and this would facilitate ease of use in a confined area. I took the gun, and broke it open... it was very nicely balanced, and sat very well on my arm. I paid my money, and placed the gun into my case and stepped out of the store, and into the darkness.

I bit back an oath as my eyes adjusted to the lack of light. I had been so engrossed in perusing the stores (shopping is a GREAT weakness of mine), that I had completely lost track of time. With the earlier thought that 'she' may have found my new home, I decided that I would be better staying in town. That part of the journey home on the desolate path from the end of town to the back of my house on the edge of the old quarter of Jardin would be perfect for an ambush, and my new gun would be completely ineffective against her. I quickly decided that there was only one place I really could go, the Cathedral of all St. Louis'. I ran down the street and crossed the bridge into Bourbon, and then carried on running to the cathedral. I entered the cathedral through the cloister, in order to give myself time to catch my breath as I didn't want to alarm anyone that might be inside by coming in out of breath. The peace of the place flowed over me as sat myself down, and placing my hat and bag on the pew next to me, I offered a prayer of thanks and let my mind drift into tranquility.

The tolling of the bell for the divine office of Lauds woke me from my slumber. The sun was still very low in the sky, but all trace of the night had gone. I offered another prayer of thanks, and quietly left. The walk home was a delight, though could not be described as refreshing. In the daylight, the deserted part of my journey seemed very unthreatening, I knew that it would have seemed totally different in the dark. Approaching my back yard, I could hear Hennie quietly 'pocking' in her run. I would have to consider an alternative place for her before the storm hits. Hanging up my coat and hat I came back out into the yard and tried out the shotgun... it was very satisfying indeed.....



..... lock and load!

No comments:

Post a Comment