Friday 19 August 2011

The Calm Before The Storm

My initial plans for the day consisted of a little exploration of the neighbourhood, especially the Garden Quarter where Nana and Miss Eili have their homes. As I sat eating my breakfast I heard someone pause outside the door, and as I turned to look, I saw a note appear being pushed underneath the door. I went to the door and picked up the note and a frown added to the already numerous creases on my brow as I read it. It seems that the storm is now definately due to hit New Toulouse from the west sometime tomorrow. Miz Gabi was contacting the authorities in New Babbage, to inform them of the situation and to request assistance from their navy. She was also requesting assistance from Winterfell, Steeltopia, Steelhead, Caledon and Seraph City. I drained my mug of coffee, all thoughts of exploration now put aside. I went into the yard and busied myself getting the bags and boards ready for the minimum of effort later when I would have to install them.

A delivery arrived of what must surely be the last of my furniture, and some boxes of documents that I was very much looking forward to reading. The documents are very old, and aren't the sort of thing that should be left around for any to view. I decided that I would fit closers to my doors, and also, locks. That saw me busy until lunchtime, and after eating my lunch I sat in my rocker and read..... and napped.

It was mid afternoon when I awoke, and going out into the street I noticed that some of the neighbours had already put up their boarding to protect the glass of their windows and doors. I returned to my yard and set to work, as I had an idea for something that might be able to keep my furniture dry.

It was getting late as I was settling sandbags at the foot of the front door, when two young gentlemen offered me assistance.


They introduced themselves as Lestat and Louis and they had rooms in the Conciergerie on the other side of the street adjacent to my property. I assured them that there was little left for me to do, and so we spoke of the coming storm and preparations that had to be made for it. I have to admit to allowing myself a little smile as they seemed to struggle with themselves (and each other, as I detected that they were communicating out of the range of my hearing so I couldn't hear what was being said) as to whether to ask me something. When you get to my age, you learn patience, so I am sure that I'll hear what was on their minds in the fullness of time, as the question wasn't forthcoming today.

The two gentlemen returned to their rooms and I completed the work to the front of the house.


I was hopeful that my windows and doors would remain intact from the onslaught of Bernadette's fury.

Returning to the yard, I made the last few adjustments to the door at the back of the house. I went over to Hennie's run and gently lifted her out. I put her into the house and then climbed in myself, as it was a tricky job to finish what had to be done from the inside.

Satisfied that all had been done that could be, I picked Hennie up and took her upstairs. I didn't want her to get distressed in any way, so thought it would be best if she remained upstairs where she shouldn't be subjected to any flooding whatsoever..... hopefully.


Now all we could do was, wait.... hope.... and pray.


No comments:

Post a Comment