Monday 22 August 2011

Flash Flood

Sunday saw what was to be the final day of the storm. I can't say I'm sorry to see it go.. but it didn't leave without one final reminder of our fragility.

Early on in the day, the clouds had gone, and it was nice to see a clear sky once more. I debated whether I should move my furniture off the rafts as I was looking forward to restoring my home to order as I'd only been in it a few days when the storm struck. I decided that I should perhaps wait... and was most pleased that I did so when one of the levees broke, resulting in flash floods. The water level was actually higher with the flooding than it was at the worst point of the storm! At least I now know that the rafts work.


That's the top of the fireplace you can see under the raft.. gives you some idea of the depth of the water.

I made my way onto my balcony which overlooks La Limonade, and was amazed at how high the water was again.


I was glad that I had the foresight to stock up on provisions as I was now content to sit out the flood and not venture forth until it was all clear... the perect excuse for an afternoon of reading, and perhaps a nap.

Sitting in my study with the boards and windows open I heard someone calling. I went back onto the balcony and was being hailed by one of New Babbage's Marines. He asked if I wished to be transported to dry land, or if I needed further provisions. I assured him I was alright, thanked him for his and his companions' assistance, and bid him adieu. I was to hear later that there was a bit of a worry when they thought they had found a casualty of the flood, but I don't believe it proved to be a fatality afterall.


The rest of my day passed pleasantly enough. A supply of good books will always see me through periods of wait, and the odd nap is always welcome too. When I next looked out of my window, the flood had reduced to a much more manageable level. The day was beautiful, I would imagine that there would be plenty of folk who would enjoy being abroad once more, providing they didn't have too much of a clean up to undertake. I removed the boarding from my windows and doors with great delight, and set to cleaning up. Hennie had been a good companion to have in the house, so I have decided to leave her be. I removed her run and mopped up around the doors of the house.


It was enjoyable being outside again, and a few people were milling about the street. I heard one person say that having been away for the weekend they had only now returned to their property to find it heavily storm damaged, and looted to boot! There will always be those who are all too happy to help themselves at the cost of others.

I was most pleased to see Nana enjoying an evening stroll, and we spent a while catching up and swapping stories as we sat by the fire. She later left to complete her stroll before the daylight was to disappear completely.

Before climbing into bed, I walked out on the balcony once more... the sky was clear and the stars were beautiful, and all seemed tranquil in New Toulouse once more. I smiled as I thought back over a busy week, and am extremely glad that I came here. It is a nice place to visit, and an even nicer place in which to live.



No comments:

Post a Comment